Rick Merpi is a commercial litigator who achieves wins for his clients through final judgments, aggressive motion practice, and negotiation and settlement. After more than a decade of representing Fortune 500 companies, attorneys general, professionals, small local businesses, and closely held corporations, Rick understands the importance of producing results that protect his clients, save them money, and get them back to business.
Rick concentrates his practice in complex commercial litigation, including breach of contract, manufacturing and supply chain disputes, trade secrets claims, shareholder disputes, construction defects, professional liability, and constitutional takings litigation. Rick was named a Colorado Super Lawyer for 2022-2023 and a Rising Star for 2021.
Rick has a proven track record of success.
- Won a two-day bench trial over breach of contract relating to a 1031 real estate purchase, recovering six figures of damages and attorneys' fees and costs for his clients.
- Won a five-day bench trial on all claims and counterclaims in a family business dispute, gaining a six-figure judgment for his clients.
- Successfully negotiated resolution of claims for alleged e-mail marketing violations of the CAN SPAM act, significantly reducing his client's potential liability and exposure.
- Won a three- week arbitration, successfully defending an auto parts supplier against an $80 million trade secrets counterclaim and obtaining a six-figure award on his client's claims.
- Successfully defended a Chinese auto-maker against a nine-figure federal contract lawsuit, obtaining sanction of dismissal with prejudice due to plaintiff's fraud on the Court.
- Rick has obtained temporary restraining orders (TROs) and immediate transfers of possession of property to protect his clients' commercial interests and assets.
- Successfully appealed to the Sixth Circuit on his client's constitutional takings claim, after which he negotiated a $2.5 million settlement plus free parking in his client's favor.
- Won two Colorado bench trials in professional negligence cases against his clients.
Prior to law school, Rick pursued a musical theatre acting career in New York and performed in regional theatres around the country. In addition to his legal practice, Rick enjoys spending time with his wife, two young sons, and young daughter, golfing, skiing, singing, and playing his piano and guitar.